New Years Black-Eyed Peas.
Prep time: 25 minutes. – Cook time: 10 hours. – Total time: 10 hours 25 minutes. – Serves: 6 servings.
1 pound black-eyed peas.
1 (32-0Z.) Box chicken broth.
1 (14-0Z) can petite diced tomatoes.
6 slices bacon, cooked and sliced.
1 cup diced ham.
1/2 cup diced sweet onions.
1 garlic clove, minced.
1 teaspoon oregano.
1/4 teaspoon pepper.
About 1/4 teaspoon salt (add to taste at the END of cooking time)
1. – Start by soaking the black eye peas overnight in the slow cooker. – Add the black-eyed peas to the slow cooker and add water to cover plus a few inches more. – Let the black-eyed peas, soak for at least eight hours.
2. – In the morning drain the water.
3. – Add the chicken broth, can of dried tomatoes, bacon, ham, onions, garlic, oregano, and pepper. Stir.
4. – Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
5. – Add the salt to taste.
6. – For creamier beans stir and smash some of the beans. Serve with cornbread.
7. – NOTE: – A ham hock can be used instead of the bacon and cubed ham. – If you use a ham hock, added at the beginning, shred the meat from the ham hock at the end of cooking time and discard the fat and bone.
Print This Recipe
RETURN TO THE MENU