Chicken Pot Pie
*3 cups Swansons reduced-sodium chicken broth or your favorite
*1½ cups onions, chopped
*1 cup potato, peeled and cubed (½ inch cubes)
*1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cubed (½ inch cubes)
*1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
*1 cup celery, sliced
*1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), cut into bite-size pieces
*1½ cups frozen peas (not defrosted)
*1½ cup reduced-fat milk
*½ cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
*2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
*Ό teaspoon salt
*Ό teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
*1 pkg. Pillsbury Golden Layer Flaky Biscuits (100 calories for each biscuit), see shopping tip
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pan, add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in onions, potato, sweet potato, carrots and celery. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 6 minutes.
3. Add chicken pieces and frozen peas, breaking them up. Bring back to a boil, turn heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Place a colander into a large bowl. Pour chicken, vegetables and broth into colander. Add strained broth back to the pan. Set aside chicken and vegetables.
5. In a separate small bowl, add flour. Gradually add milk to the flour stirring with a whisk, until well blended. 6. Increase heat to medium with the broth. Stir in milk/flour mixture with a whisk. Cook for 5 minutes or until thicken. Stir often.
7. Add back chicken and vegetables, along with thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
8. Coat an 11 x 7 baking dish (see Shopping Tip) with cooking spray and pour in the chicken stew.
9. Open the package of biscuits, separate them and place on top of chicken stew. Line them evenly over top.
10. Place the pie on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes until the biscuits are real golden brown.
11. To serve, spoon into each bowl and top with 1 biscuit. There will be two extra biscuits for whoever wants it.
Serves 8 (each serving, ? of recipe and 1 biscuit)
Print This Recipe
RETURN TO THE MENU