Shrimp and rice
*1 cup raw Basmati brown rice (about 4 cups cooked) or regular brown rice, see shopping tips below
*1½ tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
*1¾ cups cooked, large shrimp or medium shrimp (¾ pound)
*Juice of 1 lemon
*1 cup scallions, sliced (green onions)
*1 cup celery, chopped
*1 cup frozen or fresh edamame, thawed or peas
*¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
*¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
*4 egg whites, scrambled
*1 tablespoon sesame oil or canola oil, see shopping tips
1. – Cook brown rice according to package directions.
2. – In the meantime, prep the vegetables and gather all the ingredients. Cut the tails off the cooked shrimp. Add shrimp to a bowl and squeeze lemon over all the shrimp. Set aside for a few minutes.
3. – Once rice is cooked, set aside. In a nonstick wok or large nonstick pan, add canola oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Stir in cooked shrimp and scallions; stir-fry for 1 minute.
4. – Add cooked rice, celery, edamame or peas, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, until heated through, tossing gently to coat all ingredients. Push rice mixture to the sides of wok or pan. Add eggs to the other side of the pan. Stir fry about 1 minute or until the egg whites are completely cooked. Mix egg whites into rice/shrimp mixture. Add sesame oil, pepper and stir fry ingredients all together until hot.
5. – Serve immediately. Store leftovers in refrigerator for 2 days.
Makes 6 servings (a little over 1 cup each) Entire recipe makes 6½ cups
Print This Recipe
RETURN TO THE MENU