Bean and Bacon Soup.
1 (1-lb.) bag, dried small white beans5 cups water.
2 chicken bouillon cubes.
1/2 cup dried white onions.
3 Roma, tomatoes, diced
2 peeled and chopped carrots.
1 garlic clove, minced.
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
1/4 teaspoon pepper.
8 slices back-cut Apple wood smoked bacon,
cooked and chopped.
1 small ham hock.
Salt to taste (add when done).
Cornbread and butter to taste.
1. – Soak the beans the night before. I do this by
placing the beans in the slow cooker . – (sorting any rocks
or dirt clumps out). – Cover with water (about 4 inches
of water above the beans) . – DON'T TURN ON THE SLOW
COOKER YET!). – Let the beans soak in the water overnight.
2. – Drain the water off of the beans in the morning.
3. – Add the fresh 5 cups of water, chicken bouillon cubes,
onions, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, thyme, pepper, and
cooked and chop bacon. – Stir.
4. – Add the ham hock.
5. – Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours, without opening
the lid during the cooking time.
6. – Remove the ham hock. – Remove meat from the ham hock
and put into soup, if desired.
7. – Stir, add salt to taste.
8. – Serve with cornbread and butter.
Print This Recipe
RETURN TO THE MENU